Friday, March 30, 2012

Outlook locked when using sql 2005 - please help

I am setting up SQL 2005 server. We are using SQL Mail. I have defined the
email operator and defined notifications on a job to send out emails when job
completes.
The issue is the my outlook client on the server gets locked once sql server
agent is started and no emails get sent out when the job is executed.
I get the message - Unable to open your default email folders....when
opening outlook.
It is outlook 2003, we are using POP as email and sql is 2005 standard.
The email notifications are only sent out when I stop the sql server agent,
open outlook, close it and then start sql server agent again.Jack wrote:
> I am setting up SQL 2005 server. We are using SQL Mail. I have defined the
> email operator and defined notifications on a job to send out emails when job
> completes.
> The issue is the my outlook client on the server gets locked once sql server
> agent is started and no emails get sent out when the job is executed.
> I get the message - Unable to open your default email folders....when
> opening outlook.
> It is outlook 2003, we are using POP as email and sql is 2005 standard.
> The email notifications are only sent out when I stop the sql server agent,
> open outlook, close it and then start sql server agent again.
>
Dump Outlook and POP3, use DBMail as provided by SQL 2005. Why are you
using POP3? Do you not have an in-house mail server?|||No, we do not have one.
"Tracy McKibben" wrote:
> Jack wrote:
> > I am setting up SQL 2005 server. We are using SQL Mail. I have defined the
> > email operator and defined notifications on a job to send out emails when job
> > completes.
> >
> > The issue is the my outlook client on the server gets locked once sql server
> > agent is started and no emails get sent out when the job is executed.
> >
> > I get the message - Unable to open your default email folders....when
> > opening outlook.
> >
> > It is outlook 2003, we are using POP as email and sql is 2005 standard.
> >
> > The email notifications are only sent out when I stop the sql server agent,
> > open outlook, close it and then start sql server agent again.
> >
> Dump Outlook and POP3, use DBMail as provided by SQL 2005. Why are you
> using POP3? Do you not have an in-house mail server?
>|||Jack wrote:
> No, we do not have one.
>
Ok, well, I assume you have access to an SMTP server and can send email
- point DBMail to that server and forget Outlook.

No comments:

Post a Comment